Squeeks

Discussion about community activity policy

I echo what @Saerryc @BlackBird and others have said about how posting a declaration about RISE philosophy *felt* like a shutdown of constructive discussion that some members want to have. Feeling heard by leadership and feeling like even as an "ember" or "spark" that we can speak up, collaborate as friends, and find a solution, is critical to RISE being what many of us are here for.

We can disagree. It can be frustrating, sure. It takes more time to work through concerns and come to a mutually-understood decision, definitely. But it is worth doing because we are friends first. Before we're gamers or GW2 players or Animal Crossing junkies or D&D nerds, or whatever else we're into... This community was founded on the bricks of friends listening to each other and working together to make something awesome.

I don't think there was any intent for the ghostbusting policy and the " RISE Philosophy" to be interpreted as closed-off, authoritative decisions with zero discussion allowed, but posting statements from the Phoenixes as a closed thread and no heads-up anywhere about the formation of such policies packages what is intended to be helpful and drama-thwarting as telling members that their opinions and desire to talk things through do not matter. How we say things, and the tone leadership sets, matters a lot.

I *have* voiced my concerns privately to Phoenixes. I respect that we disagree on vision and philosophy. That happens. We're individuals with different ideas and priorities. But what bothers me way more is this new trend of no-comments-allowed, no-announcement-that-we're-working-on-stuff. When we revamped the Recruitment policy many months ago (the first time), we told members what we were working on. We had it in the KBG, we posted it as a proposal open for comments with a time limit on discussion. We made some tweaks based on member concerns. I know leadership evolves and so will the community culture, but I thought that open communication and input from members was something that would be innate to our function.

It's really troubling. We should be able to talk to each other as a community and discover new ideas and perspectives. I hope this new trend will reverse.

I can understand that. We're sorry that it came across as a statement to end any talks about it when we only meant to clarify what had been our philosophy since the beginning. The goals and policy of the guild has not changed over the year and has always been what it is so that's why there was never a discussion or thread in the first place. Please feel free to continue talking about if you wish, and if you have questions about why the policy is the way it is and how it is going to impact people, we are happy to provide more details and hopefully address some of your concerns.

With that..moving forward, I think we can work something out in terms of our presentation of any policy or rules. I can see that there's a gap between people and leadership. If we were to create something in the future, I think we can do a better job of showing y'all our draft and asking for your input before we officially proceed with it. This is going to have to be a discussion, but I can guarantee you guys that we all are listening and appreciate any feedback, and will do our best to present ourselves to be as open as possible.

Thanks for having faith in us. We really appreciate it, and hope we can do our best to live up to your trust 😄 

Posted (edited)

I personally would love to be included in future discussions @Peureki. After all, one of the main pillars when we founded RISE was transparency.

Edited by BlackBird

21 minutes ago, Peureki said:

moving forward, I think we can work something out in terms of our presentation of any policy or rules. I can see that there's a gap between people and leadership. If we were to create something in the future, I think we can do a better job of showing y'all our draft and asking for your input before we officially proceed with it. This is going to have to be a discussion, but I can guarantee you guys that we all are listening and appreciate any feedback, and will do our best to present ourselves to be as open as possible.

Thank you for hearing the concern as it's intended and working toward a solution.

16 minutes ago, BlackBird said:

I personally would love to be included in future discussions @Peureki. After all, one of the main pillars when we founded RISE was transparency.

I think we can all agree with this statement

23 minutes ago, Peureki said:

I can understand that. We're sorry that it came across as a statement to end any talks about it when we only meant to clarify what had been our philosophy since the beginning. The goals and policy of the guild has not changed over the year and has always been what it is so that's why there was never a discussion or thread in the first place. Please feel free to continue talking about if you wish, and if you have questions about why the policy is the way it is and how it is going to impact people, we are happy to provide more details and hopefully address some of your concerns.

With that..moving forward, I think we can work something out in terms of our presentation of any policy or rules. I can see that there's a gap between people and leadership. If we were to create something in the future, I think we can do a better job of showing y'all our draft and asking for your input before we officially proceed with it. This is going to have to be a discussion, but I can guarantee you guys that we all are listening and appreciate any feedback, and will do our best to present ourselves to be as open as possible.

Thanks for having faith in us. We really appreciate it, and hope we can do our best to live up to your trust 😄 

Thank you @Peureki and everyone else in leadership. I know you guys volunteer a lot of your free time to the guild and let us not forget this is a gaming guild and not a job. We all really appreciate it and appreciate you guys listening to us 😃 especially during a holiday weekend when im sure everyone potentially had better more relaxing things going on. 

As a new member of RISE, 2 months I think, I still don't feel like a member, really. And I think that's because there's so much more going on other than just playing GW2 together; it's not bad but it's not new-members friendly either. 

I joined RISE thinking that I will be joining a GW2 guild/community only. But as a new member, and joining a discord composed of other things other than GW2, it was (still is) very intimidating. Half the time, you don't know who that person is, for me anyway... I only look at the in-game names and remember those as my fellow guild member. 

I understand the value of communities. So if one is looking for a community, there are many communities out there to bring friends that you've made. RISE can maybe make a separate discord for that kind of community.

But the discord I think is a clutter of different sorts and not GW2 as sole focus. 

As a new member, I rarely look at RISE discord because it's confusing. If I want to talk to fellow GW2 friendlies, I'd rather talk in game. So I think the kind of discord we do have is not very inclusive.

Just my 1 cent opinion.

Also, I'm a nobody so I hope nobody gets butthurt and feel this is some sort of personal attack on anybody. Please take my words at face value and words of somebody who is opening up to the world of RISE.

I encourage other new members as well to speak up (aka SPARKS), if changes needs to be made, this is the time to share your opinions.

Peace from insignificant bug,

Resha Ravelt / herzhet / zhet 

❤️

@Zang @Peureki @Angst @Claytotsu

Hello everyone!

I'm a very new member (about a week I think), so my opinion is worth about 1 cauliflower, but now might be a good time to share my impressions of the guild from the perspective of a new member.  Firstly, the policy announcement (which I read before noticing this discussion) was nice to hear because, obviously, as a new recruit I am most interested in doing GW2 stuff.  So far, I'd say the guild has been extremely welcoming (shout-outs to @Cowboy, @Sana, @CorpPhoenix, @Claytotsu, @ars especially) and in my opinion, has provided sufficient GW2 related content and activities.

Regarding discord, I can sympathize that it's a bit confusing, but then again, I find discord lives up to its name for the most part so I expect it to be a hodge-podge of inside jokes, random thoughts and sometimes useful information. HOWEVER, I also appreciate that the random or off-topic things are in discord and NOT in guild chat. To me it makes sense to have a place where a community of friends can goof off and do their own thing. The problem is that discord is inherently intimidating, kind of like walking into a party where you don't know anyone, but they all cheer your name when you walk in, so you feel awesome, but then they go back to their conversation and you're left standing there awkwardly with a goofy smile and nodding, trying to act like you know what their talking about.  Anyway, as long as there are cool people (you know who you are) who pull you aside and chat a bit and show an interest in getting to know you, then you can begin to relax and the enjoy the pleasant din of the other conversations.

Having now read this discussion (much of it above my pay-grade), I can understand that people have a strong desire to be included in the decisions affecting the guild and the passion with which they express that desire reflects how much this guild means to them.  However, I also appreciate good leadership and a strong, coherent focus for the guild. Too often guilds fizzle because there was no unity of purpose and so those who were not part of strong coterie of friends move on to find somewhere that demonstrates that purpose. And conversely, new people entering might end up like that party goer, recognizing that this is a tight-knight group, but ultimately not brought inside.  The clear focus solves those problems, because community is formed through shared experience. People, both new and old, know that regardless of anything else they will have a fun time doing cool things.  Clubs, other games, and funny pictures are all fine (and provide additional shared experience) provided they are peripheral to the reason people joined in the first place.

I guess if there is a suggestion here, it's that posting something like "Hey, here is a potential problem, and here is a idea or policy that we feel addresses it ... what do you guys think?"  would probably be all that's needed.

Anyway, this post is feeling cute, might delete later. ❤️

Posted (edited)

Might be a little off-topic, but is a tip for new people who find any new Discord server intimidating: Don't be afraid to personalize the Discord in the settings.

• Basically, mute some non-essential channels at first and add them back on once you feel ready or start interacting with that part of the server. Almost like easing yourself into into a big gathering by finding familiar faces or people with similar interests. Same concept, just on Discord and utilizing the tools at your disposal.

It's a tip that large servers suggest to newer members so that they don't get overwhelmed -- usually given in the rules or in some sort of message before the person joins the server. Essential or useful channels are outlined in the same welcome message so that new members know which ones not to mute so that they stay in the general loop.

Steps to take for personal server cleanup:

**Note: You can still receive certain notifications from hidden/muted channels by tinkering with the notification settings to include @mentions for hidden channels

1. Go to your Server Drop-Down menu
    sn.PNG.6a7a0d9151a5ad258305a174fdf0ddd4.PNG

2. Go to Notification Settings
    sn_1.PNG.26dda62b8ff3ea8e78f628604a801817.PNG

3. Scroll down to the Channel List and mute non-essential ones (or just ones you don't have an interest in yet)
    sn_2.PNG.3c8f7c42cf8e529b35b50355c35c25fd.PNG

4. Go back to your Drop-Down Menus and click Hide Muted Channels to make your channel list nice and neat
    sn_3.PNG.43628a501b47ab358934b2ac9e6e363e.PNG

5. Have a nice streamlined channel list that looks less intimidating and easier to navigate for you! Here's mine -- it's more GW2-based because that's my key interest:
    966582492_mycurrentsetup.PNG.653e16b61094951e7d5014d2166d97c9.PNG

Edited by Sauko
adding note

@Sauko thanks for that! It's exactly what I do to limit the chatter to things I actually want to talk about. We do have a lot of channels, but it helps to funnel people into similar interests. Otherwise, the main chat really gets bonkers and is pointless to try to keep up with (speaking from experience, and also because I'm probably one of the most guilty of causing it! 😜)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.