Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Nion

Nion's Proper Introduction

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Heya all, I wanted to make a proper introduction for myself since I recently was made an official Ember of RISE. My name is Nion and I'm glad to be a part of this happy choy-tastic community.

 

I used to play a lot of CD games growing up such as Roller coaster Tycoon and some bootleg NEOGEO games until I got access to the worst mistake the 21st Century has ever introduced, the Internet. From then on I was able to access a whole plethora of information as well as one game that introduced me to MMORPGs, MapleStory. There I was able to grasp the concept of typing angry words really quick, micro-manage within the virtual economy, and a first-hand look at how money-hungry the game company Nexon was. Despite all of that, I fell in love with not only the chibi-esque art style of it but the media culture behind that where people used to make online music videos using screenshots from the game; a subgenre called Maple Music Videos or MMVs for short. As a elementary school kid, it was great to see thousands of views on videos I made so that fueled my video editing obsession and became an essential skill growing up. Though I don't play MapleStory anymore, I'd like to share one of my last MMVs I did which shows a different style that incorporates my then-discovered skill of digital art.

 

 

Long story short, all of this work paid off as I slowly transitioned my unique technique into a career and now I have a position within the film industry doing post work.

But at the end of the day, I'm just a gamer with a passion for the arts and all things creative whether it be creating stupid memes for internet points, drawing anime-inspired art for smiles, or further studying more art-related things like photography.

 

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Edited by Nion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Omg that video is absolutely amazing! I'm glad I got to know your maple story background! I grew up with diablo 2, Starcraft, and GW1!

 

Glad to finally meet ya Nion =P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

7 hours ago, Nion said:

There I was able to grasp the concept of typing angry words really quick, micro-manage within the virtual economy, and a first-hand look at how money-hungry the game company Nexon was. Despite all of that, I fell in love with not only the chibi-esque art style of it but the media culture behind that where people used to make online music videos using screenshots from the game; a subgenre called Maple Music Videos or MMVs for short.

 

So we chatted a little bit about Maplestory back in Mistlock but oh my god I think this is actually pretty insane reading about this lmao. MapleStory was just as big of an influence on me and my MMORPG experience and I ABSOLUTELY 100% believe that I learned to type because I needed to be able to type quickly between attacks while grinding. either to friends or "cc plz"

 

THAT SAID it's so crazy that you also made MMVs and THAT was also what influenced me a lot towards digital art/editing. I don't video edit anymore (or play Maple for that matter) but man that is such a blast of nostalgia. I'm not going to link my videos publicly (although I might message them to you if you're deathly curious lol) but I'll just share a screenshot from one of mine lol... 

 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.494cb95af7f5270ffed39c5f66a05a4a.png


That said your SnK maple vid is AMAZING and I absolutely loved the action shots in particular. Seeing all of the old Maple NPCs gave me such a trip. Thank you for that! And that's super cool that you even went as far as making a career out of it. A lot of artists/creative people don't get to that point (as you probably understand) but it's really amazing that you're doing something that you love and that it's just wild that I feel so relatable to your origin story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  

5 hours ago, Claytotsu said:

Omg that video is absolutely amazing! I'm glad I got to know your maple story background! I grew up with diablo 2, Starcraft, and GW1!

 

Glad to finally meet ya Nion =P 

Likewise, Claytotsu. In the end, we're all gamers with different stories and eventually found ourselves in GW2 haha.

 

3 hours ago, Tiffymew said:

 

 

So we chatted a little bit about Maplestory back in Mistlock but oh my god I think this is actually pretty insane reading about this lmao. MapleStory was just as big of an influence on me and my MMORPG experience and I ABSOLUTELY 100% believe that I learned to type because I needed to be able to type quickly between attacks while grinding. either to friends or "cc plz"

 

A handy life skill indeed. My coworkers had always been asking about this but they never believe me about the keyboard typing speed story...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...